Sunday, May 10, 2009

May 17

How would I feel if my brother were in prison? My father? My daughter? If we are to follow the commandment Jesus gave us, we must try to imagine that circumstance and let our feelings then govern our behavior. How would I feel? I would be embarrassed, ashamed, angry, pitying, and anxious. What would I do? I would visit as often as I could, I would write, and I would plan for the release, and devote time and companionship after the release. If Jesus commands it how can I refuse? “Dear Jesus, you have given us your command to love one another; this is a heavy and ponderous task. Give the strength and grace to obey not once, but continually. We thank you for the opportunity to follow your command in jails and prisons and halfway houses all through our community.”

No comments:

Post a Comment